Sunday 21 June 2015

An unfolding dream...

I stirred in my bed for a moment as I slowly gained awareness of my surroundings. I could hear a faint, inaudible melody in the background that gradually grew clear. “That was the brand new single from The Wanted here on Capital FM…” said the radio host. I turned to the direction in which the sound was coming from and squinted to make out what it read. 6:00 am. Reaching over with great effort to turn off the radio, I flinched. The scorching surface where the sun had been blazing through a gap in my crisp, white curtains, gave a shock to my system. Silence.

As I fiercely whipped the soft white sheets off of my body I made my way over to the window, the sun blinding me with every step. I reached up to the handle of the window and thrust it open. A strong breeze gushed past me as the smell of freshly cut grass overwhelmed the room. The birds were singing and the cars were zooming past. I stared down at the busy town. This is where I had longed to be for some time. Feeling content and no longer lethargic, I grabbed a soft towel off of the radiator and wandered into the bathroom. Jumping into the shower I turned the dial from cold to hot and let the water fall down on me for a moment. Running my hands through my hair, I felt completely relaxed. After cleaning myself and forcing my body out of the shower I dried off, wrapped myself up in my cosy dressing gown, towel enfolded about my hair, ready to continue with my daily routine.
Hanging on my wardrobe was the outfit that I had picked out to wear the night before: A gorgeous white silk blouse, a black high-waisted skirt and a pair of stunning high heels to complete the look. Being a fashion journalist, I was always expected to look presentable and with my designer wardrobe, that was never a problem. I slipped the blouse over my arms as the silk caressed my skin and pulled the skirt up to my waist. Each button on the blouse, so tiny and detailed, were done up one by one. I tucked the shirt into my skirt and slipped on my shoes. My hair was almost dry by this time. Not needing a lot done to it, I left it to dry completely naturally. My hair had a wavy elegance about it that I loved. My skin retained a natural glow, and so all I needed to do was moisturise to look appropriate for the day.

After all the commotion of getting ready was concluded, I strolled into my bright white kitchen and placed two slices of wholemeal bread into the toaster, while engaging in deep thought of what the day ahead of me would consist of. The aroma of fresh, warm toast wafted past me and I soon focused back to my task. Unexpectedly and making me jump a little, the toaster pinged! I lay the toast on the worktop and spread some butter upon them. I hungrily sailed through my first piece, the mouth-watering crunch so appealing to my senses. The second slice I gripped with my teeth as I dashed about the flat collecting my things. Finally ready to leave, I grabbed the keys off the table and hurriedly leapt out the door.

Walking along the street was always enjoyable, watching everyone rush around and listening to the town go wild. I came to a halt as I walked past Starbucks. The smell of the fresh coffee was such a treat, tempting me towards the shop. However I was already running a little late due to the fact that I was so involved in everything that was going on around me, so I carried on my journey to work…


…I stirred in my bed for a moment as I slowly gained awareness of my surroundings. I could hear a faint, inaudible melody in the background that gradually grew clear. “That was the brand new single from The Wanted here on Capital FM…” said the radio host. I turned to the direction in which the sound was coming from and squinted to make out what it read. 7:30 ­­am. “Time to get up!” I heard my mum shout from downstairs. Today was the day of my English exam. I hadn't stopped worrying about it for months. I really required a good grade if I wanted my dream to come true. All I could do was hope and pray. One day, one day I will become a fashion journalist.

----

Hi guys! 

So, this was a short piece of creative writing that I came across tonight that I had written for year 11 English. It shocked and amazed me to discover that my ideal "dream" has not changed a single bit since then. When I finished sixth form I got really distracted from said "dream" as I was doing my make up course and focusing on becoming a Make up Artist. I was so wrapped up in it that I forgot where my passion really lied. And that's with writing. I have always wanted to eventually become a Fashion Journalist, and from this evening onwards I have decided that that is exactly what I am going to focus on. 

"Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you." - Marsha Norman

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

"Everything starts with a dream." - Anon

Love, H x

No comments:

Post a Comment